Skip to main content

Motion Sensors etc

I need to know what my loved one (LO) is up to--whether she's leaving the house, whether she has gone to the bathroom, whether she is getting into things. 
A motion sensor in the bathroom lets me know whether she is in there or has been in there. During the wee hours of the night, I don't keep sound notifications on all the time but I can look at the history and see what's been going on during the night.
Door sensors let me know whether she has opened an exterior door, which used to be critical although now I also have security latches on those doors (see other post). Still, the door sensors are a backup in case I leave a door unlatched.
A security camera that shows the living room and the kitchen lets me peek in on my LO if she is prowling while I am in my room. 
These devices are linked to an app on my cell phone. I can adjust the notifications on each device individually. From within the app, I can schedule notification to be off or on during set hours of the day. 
We're using the gizmos from the company called Wyze, but I'm sure there are similar devices from other companies. 
I also hear about other people who are using a mat that sends a signal if the person steps on it, e.g., if they get out of bed. My LO is not at great risk of falling and is fully ambulatory, so I'm not particularly worried that she gets out of bed by herself. I just need to make sure she's not leaving the house, or getting into the fridge in case I accidentally left that unlatched. (Yes, there are also "childproof' latches on things in the kitchen.)
All these life hacks just give me some peace of mind. I used to be awake at all hours of the night checking on her. Now I can sleep and relax. 
Entry sensor at left, safety latch at top of an exterior door.

Comments