Skip to main content

Keeping Up Your Morale

 


Naturally, I get discouraged and angry at times. Sometimes I speak strongly to my mother simply to get her to follow instructions. I would be embarrassed if anybody heard me talking to her like that, but it gets the job done faster. 

Still, the worst is when I am angry at myself for losing my cool. Then I have to use some of the sayings that I've come up with. Here are a couple of my favorites.
  • It doesn't have to be perfect.
  • I don't have to be perfect.
Another thing I do is follow some groups on Facebook that are about caregiving and memory loss. That helps me to put things in perspective--other people are going through the same thing or much worse. I don't belong to any in-person support groups, but I have a very supportive brother that I can share things with. 

And lastly, I have help. Twice a week, a helper comes from an agency to take Mom out for a few hours, walking and having lunch. On the weekend, a family friend takes Mom to church, followed again by a walk and some lunch. That gives me a break and saves my sanity. 


Comments